Google Analytics is updating its platform for gathering analytics and this will effect how your website’s analytics will be gathered. We have created this guide to help you understand what will be happening, when, and how to move to the new platform called Google Analytics 4.
Google is moving to its Google Analytics 4 platform as of July 1, 2023. This means that your old Google Analytics property (Universal Analytics) will stop collecting data for your site as of July 1, so, you will need to migrate to Google Analytics 4 and take some steps to get a new property created for your site and added to your site’s settings so that analytics can continue to be collected.
The migration process for moving to Google Analytics 4 is simply creating a Google Analytics 4 (GA4) property and adding the property number to your website’s settings. Here are the steps:
- Go to analytics.google.com and login with your google account or gatorlink account (if you have this enabled).
- Click on the Gear icon for the Administrative options in Google Analytics.
- In the second column for the property, select the option for GA4 Setup Assistant.
- Select the option to create a new Google Analytics 4 property.
- Follow the setup instructions for the property.
- Add the GA property number to the site’s settings by clicking on the “Customize” option under “Appearance”. Then select the General Settings and add the GA4 number to the field for it and click the Publish button to save this change.
Important Dates for the transition from Universal Analytics to Google Analytics 4
- July 1, 2023 – The Universal Analytics platform stops collecting data from websites.
- December 1, 2023 – Access to old Universal Analytics information will be removed by Google.